Haircuts are a necessity for having and maintaining a healthy head of hair. How often do you really need to get them, though? The short answer is that you should get haircuts every six to twelve weeks. The long answer is that it depends on your hair type, the length of your hair, and what styling tools you use.
Here is a good guideline of how long you can go between haircuts based on all of those factors:
- Thin Hair– Since thin hair is more prone to breakage, it is better not to go longer than a couple of months between haircuts.
- Thick Hair– You can go a little longer between haircuts with thick hair, so about three months is a good recommendation. If your thick hair starts to feel too heavy before that, though, then definitely get a haircut before then.
- Long Hair– If you have long hair and want to keep it long, you can go a few months or a little more between haircuts. If you still want long hair but want to keep it at the length as your last haircut, go in six to eight weeks later for a trim.
- Medium-Length Hair– Depending on the style of your cut, you should have haircuts every six to twelve weeks. Like long hair, go in sooner if you want to keep your same length, or wait a little longer if you want to grow it out.
- Short Hair– If you have a pixie cut and want to keep it, you should go in for a haircut about once a month.
- Layered Hair– To keep your layers looking clean and distinct, you should get a trim every six to eight weeks.
- Heated Tools– As flat irons, curling irons, and blow dryers tend to cause some damage to your hair, you should get your hair trimmed every six to eight weeks to keep it healthy if you use heat on your hair often.
We specialize in haircuts here at Salon Povera! Our stylists will give you a fabulous haircut experience to keep you coming back. Bring in your whole family, as we do women’s, men’s, and children’s haircuts! Call us to schedule your haircuts for you and your family today!