The number of hair care products on the market is astounding, and sometimes, it can be daunting to try to choose the right product for your hair type and desired style. A great cut is important, but hair care products are the next step in making your hair look its best. The following is a short list of basic hair care products and their uses.
- Shampoo. Clean hair is the place to start, but there are a lot of different shampoos available for all different types of hair. Volumizing, clarifying, smoothing, color-treated hair, alcohol and sulfate-free are just a few of the shampoos on the market. Consult your hair stylist to find out which shampoo would work best for your hair type and be sure to choose two shampoos with different ingredients and benefits to rotate between in order to maintain balance in your hair.
- Conditioner. Conditioner helps to restore moisture to the hair after shampooing and comes in three basic types: rinse-out, leave-in, and hair mask/deep conditioner. Rinse-out conditioner is the most widely used. Leave-in conditioner is great for longer hair that needs smoothing and de-tangling, and hair mask/deep conditioner is used less frequently because it requires 30 minutes of time to do its magic.
- Oils and Serums. Oils and serums are great for hair that is considered “problematic,” and they help to tame frizz and add shine.
- Mousse. Mousse is amazing for adding extra lift and volume to your hair. It comes in different levels of hold and can help define your curls. Start by working the mousse into clean, towel-dried hair and finish with blow drying.
- Heat Protectant. For those who style their hair with heat, heat protectant spray is an absolute must-have. It helps to protect the hair from direct heat that is applied with a curling iron or hair straightener.
- Hair Spray. Hair spray sets the style and provides hold, volume, and texture. Hold the can about 8-10 inches above your head and spray a light mist.
If you are interested in speaking with a knowledgeable hair stylist about the best hair care products for your hair type, please give us a call at Salon Povera today!